DPP511: Sustainable Development I
Module Purpose and Objectives
The module aims at providing a deeper understanding of the concepts which are necessary for the assessment of the current state of the environment. The subjects to be developed in this module offer the necessary academic knowledge for the further specialization of the student, while developing his / her ability to recognize impacts on the environment and natural resources.
The principles of managing natural resources, water resources and soil resources are some of the issues to be analyzed as dimensions of environmental science. At the same time, at a more practical level, emphasis will be placed on environmental planning, climate and climate change in the Mediterranean, integrated agriculture, environmental economics, environmental legislation & policy.
- Management and natural resources (definitions, management, exploitation and protection), their relations with the natural environment, as well as social needs, development, politics, economy and market mechanisms that affect exploitation and protection of natural resources.
• The spatial distribution of natural resources, the distinction and classification of natural resources and their socio-economic impact, as well as the policies pursued by the European Union.
• Sustainable management, sustainable development.
• The basic principles and concepts of forest management.
• The multiplicity of forest ecosystem functions, multiple use-management.
• Non-renewable natural resources such as solid and liquid fuels, natural gas, minerals and ores
• Economic evaluation of natural resources,
• Sampling in inventory and analysis of natural resources.
• Environmental law
• The institutional framework (regulations, legislation, protocols and directives) governing ecologically sensitive areas, agriculture & forestry
• The mechanisms for certification of agricultural production systems.
• The legislative value of good agricultural production practices
• Legal status and limitations of GMOs.
• European forestry legislation and future developments in the forestry sector as defined by the Green Paper.
• The natural resource "water" and the basic concepts of water management.
• Recycling & reuse of water, desalination, dams and reservoirs.
• The water footprint
• The principles of organic farming
• Organic farming and energy consumption.
• The concept of Integrated Agriculture.
• The Integrated Agriculture Certification Mechanism.
• Integrated Agriculture Systems.
• Integrated Cultivation Management Methods.
• Climate, climate change, climate policy, desertification.
• International conferences and conventions on climate and climate change.
• Climate policies (adaptation policy, reduction policy).
• Land valuation, land uses, land policy.
- Κωδικός / Course Code: DPP511
- ECTS: 10
Τρόποι Αξιολόγησης / Assessment:
- Διάρκεια Φοίτησης/ Length of Study: Εξαμηνιαία (χειμερινό) / Semi-annual (fall)
- Κόστος/ Tuition Fees: 450 euro
- Επίπεδο Σπουδών/ Level: Μεταπτυχιακό/ Postgraduate