ELP622: Program Evaluation in Education
Course Purpose and Objectives
In this Module, students will study concepts-definitions of programme evaluation, the differences between research and evaluation and theoretical orientations of programme evaluation through a historical review. They will, also, study alternative approaches/models that can be used in the evaluation of programmes, including programme modeling or the technique of structured hierarchical decomposition, the capabilities-weaknesses of these approaches, issues related to resistance and conflict resolution in evaluation, as well as the collection of evaluation information through the design, sampling and costs in relation to the data sources and methods, analysis and interpretation.
Amongst others, the Course provides students with knowledge about the major approaches and models developed in the area of program evaluation and the important role it plays in any effective program, as well as about the basic principles of different methodological designs, sampling, cost analysis and needs assessment, and the basic methods of collecting, analyzing and interpreting data in the evaluation of educational programs. The module also provides students with knowledge on the basic elements of the presentation / publication of the results of a program evaluation by the evaluation report, and the four levels of program evaluation established and the five guiding principles proposed for evaluators. Students upon successful completion of the Module will also have a clear understanding of the concept of meta-evaluation, its usefulness, purpose and applications.
- Κωδικός / Course Code: ELP622
- ECTS: 15
Τρόποι Αξιολόγησης / Assessment:
Written assignments (2), Final exam, Weekly graded activities. This form of assessment applies to all Thematic Units.
The final grade of the Module is composed from:
- 50% from the grade of the final exam.
- 40% from the grade of the two (2) assignments.
- 10% from the grade of the contributions to the ten (10) weekly activities, provided they are assessed with a pass (evaluation Pass or Fail). Each contribution that is evaluated with a Pass increases the Module’s final score by 0,1 points.
Students earn the right to participate in the final exam if they have:
- Obtained cumulatively at least 50% of the total score, from the evaluation of the two (2) assignments.
- Submitted at least five (5) contributions for the weekly activities which are evaluated with a Pass.
- Διάρκεια Φοίτησης/ Length of Study: Εξαμηνιαία (χειμερινό) / Semi-annual (fall)
- Κόστος/ Tuition Fees: .
- Επίπεδο Σπουδών/ Level: Μεταπτυχιακό/ Postgraduate