OBJECTIVES OF THE PROGRAMME
It is now commonly accepted that human health and prosperity depend on the quality of the environment, which is exposed to relentless human intervention on a daily basis. Sustainable management of natural resources, the implementation of decontamination technologies and renewable energy sources, as well as the development of appropriate methodologies for ecosystem protection, energy management, solid and liquid waste management are just some of the means required to improve environmental management.
The postgraduate degree in “Environmental Conservation and Management” adopts a multidisciplinary approach to environmental protection aimed at contributing to the dialogue within social and political levels while, at the same time, offering students a high level of expertise in environmental management. The objective is to promote sustainable management practices and techniques regarding environmental issues.
The Programme has been evaluated and accredited by the Cyprus Agency of Quality Assurance and Accreditation in Higher Education.
WHY CHOOSE THE PROGRAMME – CAREER PROSPECTS
Graduates of the M.Sc. in “Environmental Conservation and Management” will be able to:
- apply widely accepted techniques and tools to solve environmental problems
- carry out environmental impact assessments or design photovoltaic parks and wind farms
- gain the skills required in environmental research and actively participate in major environmental projects
- employ a multidisciplinary approach in addressing complex environmental problems
- combine work experience with current trends in environmental management and protection
Based on the abovementioned, those who will benefit from this Postgraduate Programme are:
- University graduates in Forestry, Agriculture, Biology, Geology, Physics, Chemistry. Environmental Science and Engineering or other related scientific fields.
- Employees in the public sector dealing with environmental issues.
- Employees in non-governmental environmental organisations.
- Graduates with a broad interest in the environment and environmental protection.
The graduates of the Postgraduate Programme in "Environmental Conservation and Management" can be employed:
- In Government Departments (mainly with a portfolio related to environment, ecosystems, agriculture, energy).
- As business consultants and freelancers in the fields of buildings' energy efficiency, generation and transmission of electricity, installation and operation of renewable energy systems, environmental studies, the environment technologies industry, safety and workplace hygiene, design and management of heating, air-conditioning and energy management systems, development of strategic waste management studies liquid and solid fuels, the design and implementation of anti-pollution technologies, the drawing up of species and habitat management and monitoring plans.
- In various private organizations as Environmental Management Officers and Environmental Inspectors,
- In the education sector (Public and Private Secondary Education, Higher Education following Doctoral Studies),
- In Environmental Non-Governmental Organizations
- In Research Centers and Laboratories.
The Open University of Cyprus (OUC), through its participation in the European project "Liaison Offices with the Labour Market", offers to students of all its programmes of study, the optional and free of charge Thematic Unit (i.e. Module) entitled "Industry Placement". This module provides students opportunities for a placement to gain professional experience in their particular field of study, and the hosting institution can be any public or private organisation operating in the Republic of Cyprus.
Each student has the right to participate in this offering once or twice during his / her studies, provided that s/he meets the required conditions.
Request more information by contacting the OUC Liaison Office here.
EUROPEAN CREDIT TRANSFER SYSTEM (ECTS): 120
TEACHING LANGUAGE: Greek
DEGREE AWARDED: Magister Scientiae (M.Sc.)
1. Applicants for admission to this particular Postgraduate Programme of Study must:
- on the day of their enrolment at the University, hold a university degree from an accredited tertiary education institution in any of the following subjects: Forestry, Agricultural Sciences, Geology, Biology, Physics, Chemistry, Environmental Sciences, Geography, Chemical Engineering, Civil Engineering, Topography (Land Surveying), Electrical Engineering, Environmental Engineering, Mining Engineering, Architecture, Mechanical Engineering, Energy Engineering, Oil and Gas Engineering, Anti-pollution sciences, Applied Mathematics and Natural Sciences, Materials Science/Engineering, Materials Science and Technology, Energy Management, Technological Applications, Exploitation of Natural Resources and Agricultural Production, Environmental Technologies, Agricultural Technologists, Agricultural Production, Engineering and Management of Natural Resources, Environmental Management with Impact on Health, Environmental Education, Climate Change Management, Biodiversity Management, Biotechnology, Toxicology, Crop Production and / or Food Technology, Animal Production and Biosystems Production, Mechanical Engineering and Industrial Design, Mechanical Engineering Planning and Regional Development, Economics and Management, Agricultural Economics and Development, Agriculture and Aquatic Environment, Educational Sciences, Law, Business Administration, Economics, etc. General and without limitation, graduates of the Faculty of Health Sciences, Sciences, Agricultural Sciences, Veterinary Medicine, Polytechnic Schools of the national universities or equivalent other departments.
Applicants expected to obtain a Bachelor’s Degree until enrolment in the Open University of Cyprus, or have fulfilled their degree requirements, but the issuing of their Degree is pending, are still entitled to apply for admission.
2. Have a very good knowledge of English: literature in English (scientific articles and books) is widely used. It is therefore necessary for students to have familiarity with English for studying such texts, but also for attending lectures in English. Particularly in the preparation of their Master’s Thesis, students will mainly use English bibliography. However, students will not be required to produce any assignments in English.
3. Additional requirements, necessary for studying at the OUC which utilises the methodologies of open and distance learning supported by technology, include computer skills and access to e-mail and the Internet.
The total cost of the fees for this postgraduate program is 5,400 Euro.
In terms of granting tuition discounts and/or scholarships, the related University applicable policies are followed.
Applications can be submitted exclusively online:
Application dates for the Academic year 2022-2023 : February 24 - May 24, 2022.
The Programme offers two (2) specialisations / academic directions: (a) Energy and Pollution and (b) Terrestrial Ecosystem Conservation and Management.
To receive a Master’s degree title in "Environmental Conservation and Management", students must successfully complete the academic requirements of six (6) semester Compulsory Thematic Units, i.e. Modules (10 ECTS credits each), three (3) semester Elective Modules (10 ECTS credits each), and successfully complete a Master’s Thesis (30 ECTS credits: Master Thesis I corresponds to 10 ECTS credits and Master Thesis II corresponds to 20 ECTS credits).
Μ: Mandatory Module-- E: Elective Module -- MD: Mandatory Module of the chosen academic specialisation
ΔΠΠ511 - Sustainable Development Ι (M)
ΔΠΠ512 - Research Methods (E)
ΔΠΠ513 - Tools for Environmental Impact Assessment (M)
ΔΕΕ211 - Environmental Protection Law (E)
ΔΠΠ514 – Ecosystem Services (E)
ΔΠΠ521 - Sustainable Development ΙI (M)
ΔΠΠ522 - Remote Sensing and GIS (E)
ΔΠΠ523 - Conservation and Management of Freshwater Ecosystems (E)
ΔΠΠ524 - Water-Food-Energy Nexus (E)
ΔΠΠ701Α - Master Thesis I (M)
ΔΠΠ613 - Climate Change in the Natural and Anthropogenic Environment (M)
ΔΠΠ611 - Solid and Liquid Waste Management (MD – Energy and Pollution)
ΔΠΠ612 - Conservation Biology (MD – Terrestrial Ecosystem Conservation and Management)
ΔΠΠ701Β - Master Thesis II (M)
ΔΠΠ621 - Renewable Energy Sources (MD – Energy and Pollution)
ΔΠΠ622 - Terrestrial Ecosystems Management (MD – Terrestrial Ecosystem Conservation and Management)
- DEE211: Environmental Protection Law
- DPP511: Sustainable Development I
- DPP512: Research Methods
- DPP513: Environmental Impact Assessment Tools
- DPP514: Ecosystem Services
- DPP521: Sustainable Development II
- DPP522: Remote Sensing and Geographical Information Systems (GIS)
- DPP523: Conservation and Management of Fresh Water Ecosystems
- DPP524: Water-Food-Energy Nexus
- DPP611: Liquid and Solid Waste Management
- DPP612: Biological Conservation
- DPP613: Climate Change in the Natural and the Anthropogenic Environment
- DPP621: Renewable Energy Sources
- DPP622: Terrestrial Ecosystem Management
- DPP701A: Postgraduate Dissertation I (Master's thesis)
- DPP701B: Postgraduate Dissertation II (Master's thesis)
DPP695: Industry Placement (1st), 5 ects
DPP696: Industry Placement (2nd), 5 ects