The pure and applied sciences are a guide for development, innovation and technology, elements necessary for the formation and evolution of modern society.
The Programmes of Pure and Applied Sciences are fully compatible with European standards and have the characteristics of new disciplines: they started as a research specialization and today are scientific, technological and professional autonomous fields of knowledge that train scientists sufficiently in order to face current and future scientific challenges.
Programmes of the Faculty are also offered in English, with the aim of promoting research, attracting foreign students and the distinction and promotion of the Open University of Cyprus in the European and wider international space.
(no longer available for admission)
Offered Doctoral Programmes of the Faculty of Pure and Applied Sciences, for the academic year 2023-2024 (spring semester):
- Artificial Intelligence
- Chemical Engineering
- Data Science
- Environmental Engineering
- Human - Computer Interaction
- Terrestrial Ecosystem Ecology
- Wireless Communication
The minimum time required to complete the doctorate is three (3) years, while the maximum duration is eight (8) years.
EUROPEAN CREDIT TRANSFER SYSTEM – ECTS: 180
TEACHING LANGUAGE: Greek or English
DEGREE AWARDED: Doctor of Philosophy (PhD)
Applicants must hold a Master's degree, or an equivalent degree, related or similar to the research area listed above.
Candidates must submit:
Those interested in applying for the Doctoral Programme should include the following information in the "Statement of Interest":
- A Preliminary Title of the Doctoral Thesis
- A Summary of a 300-word research proposal, which will necessarily include the following:
- Description of the goal / purpose
- The importance of the research
- Review of the bibliography
- Brief reference to the proposed research methodology.
- Scientific and other Distinctions
- Scientific and Research Activities
- Research Areas
The School of Pure and Applied Sciences announces a number of doctoral scholarships in the following subject:
(a) Terrestrial Ecosystems Ecology
The scholarships are supported by funds available for the implementation of research activities (categories II and / or III - policy of granting scholarships of OUC). Scholarships can be claimed by existing and new PhD candidates of the School of Pure and Applied Sciences of OUC, whose research subject is related to the above list.
Candidates must submit the following information to the School Secretariat by 5th of June, 2023, to the email address firstname.lastname@example.org, either in Greek or in English,
(1) Short CV.
(2) The research subject under focus, (a) or (b) or (c) of the above list, and a brief description of the research activities they propose to perform (up to 1500 words).
(3) Brief description / analysis, how their proposed research activities enhance / will enhance excellence (their research area, OUC, industry, and society) (up to 1500 words).
Applications will be evaluated by a special three-member committee. In case that the application is approved, the committee will propose the duration and the amount of the scholarship based on its evaluation.
Tuition fees for doctoral programs amounts to €675 per semester for the first six (6) semesters. In case the study lasts longer, then the following applies: for the first five (5) and the last semester, the cost amounts to €675 per semester and for the remaining semesters, the cost amounts to €100 per semester. No tuition is paid for the "Academic Writing (DXXX796)" and the "Research Methodology (DXXXX795)", which are mandatory at the beginning of the study.
The following laboratories operate in the Faculty of Pure and Applied Sciences: