The Open University of Cyprus aspires to be recognised as a modern, pioneering, people-centered and exemplary University which, based on its institutional values – i.e. the quality of education and research, extroversion and diverse cultural and social contribution - will contribute effectively towards achieving the country’s objective to transform Cyprus into a regional hub for education, research and innovation.
In accordance with its founding Law (L. 234(Ι)/2002), the mission of the Open University of Cyprus is: “To provide equal opportunities to all in accessing tertiary education irrespective of age, place and pace of study, and to promote science, knowledge, education, research and lifelong learning with the method of open and distance education".
The three pillars of the University’s mission are the following:
- To generate and disseminate scientific knowledge through teaching and research.
- To raise the cultural standard of the people of Cyprus, through the promotion of active involvement in the preservation and dissemination of core cultural values.
- To engage with society, the economy and the State, aiming towards the sustainable development and progress of Cyprus.
The University is guided by the following core values:
- Stemming from the encouragement of dialogue, original and critical thinking, ethics and integrity.
- Supported by the interdisciplinary nature of the programmes of study offered, which are developed based on the changing needs and requirements of the labour market and society.
- Promoting innovation in teaching and research, while nurturing and facilitating the personal and professional development of the University’s teaching and administrative staff.
- A key component of all educational, research and operational activities of the University.
- Based on excellence, meritocracy, teamwork and professionalism.
- Reflected in our work and study environment, which sustains the notions of solidarity, equality, constructive challenge, tolerance toward other opinions, freedom of thought, expression and speech, in line with the principles of academic freedom and fundamental democratic values.
Extroversion and Social Contribution:
- Promoting and strengthening the development of people, sciences and culture, while encouraging and supporting open dialogue with society
- Developing and stimulating cooperation and interconnection inside and outside the University, as well as supporting and encouraging social responsibility.