ELP521: Evaluation of Teaching and Teachers
Course Purpose and Objectives
In this thematic unit students will be introduced to the evaluation of teaching. They will study the role of inspection/evaluation, issues relating to classroom observation and the methods, procedures and tools that can be used for this purpose, as well as evaluation strategies. They will also examine issues relating to the evaluator, the curriculum, teaching and learning, the assessment of learning outcomes, self-evaluation of teachers and schools and the role of evaluation in the professional development and selection of education officials. Finally, reference will be made to the present and future of the evaluation of teachers’ work.
- express the key purposes of the evaluation of teachers’ work
- link teacher evaluation to the evaluation of the educational work of the school
- acquire knowledge and skills on issues related to classroom observation and self-evaluation of the teacher and the school
- document the relationship between the evaluation and school effectiveness
- apply different evaluation methods
- develop and implement effectively educational programme evaluation designs either at the level of the school or of the education system
- observe and evaluate teaching using appropriate tools / methods for classroom observation, by applying all appropriate proceedings
- compare and evaluate critically evaluation systems of teachers and school work and make recommendations for their improvement
- Κωδικός / Course Code: ELP521
- ECTS: 15
Τρόποι Αξιολόγησης / Assessment:
Written assignments (2), Final exam, Weekly graded activities. This form of assessment applies to all Thematic Units.
The final grade of the Module is composed from:
- 50% from the grade of the final exam.
- 40% from the grade of the two (2) assignments.
- 10% from the grade of the contributions to the ten (10) weekly activities, provided they are assessed with a pass (evaluation Pass or Fail). Each contribution that is evaluated with a Pass increases the Module’s final score by 0,1 points.
Students earn the right to participate in the final exam if they have:
- Obtained cumulatively at least 50% of the total score, from the evaluation of the two (2) assignments.
- Submitted at least five (5) contributions for the weekly activities which are evaluated with a Pass.
- Διάρκεια Φοίτησης/ Length of Study: Εξαμηνιαία (εαρινό)/ Semi-annual (spring)
- Κόστος/ Tuition Fees: .
- Επίπεδο Σπουδών/ Level: Μεταπτυχιακό/ Postgraduate