END524: The Challenges of new Journalism
The main objective of the course is to offer the student the basic theoretical knowledge that will enable him/her to practice the journalism profession and to understand the wider context in which journalism moves.
Initially to understand the contradictions through which the journalistic message passes, primarily related to the economic - business landscape of information. It is an environment that is not unchanged in the flow of time. However, information as a whole, individually (an article, a coverage, a post, and so on), is required to balance steadily between the conditions that guarantee a safe business operation for the medium and the most comprehensive and representative information possible for the citizens. The same tug-of-war is also seen against political power, with alternations in the government and other power centers (from local government to international organizations) testing the objectivity and impartiality of every medium and every journalist. By describing the political and economic function of Information, what is sought is to understand the objective limitations and proven practices of overcoming them in order to ensure the most objective information possible.
With the use of printed and electronic material, new media and social networking, in the Module offered in the 1st year of study the following subjects are developed:
1. Political and economic geography of the Information.
2. Critical thinking in the era of post-truth.
3. Research Journalism 2.0. Collection of sources, evaluation, methodology and evidence.
4. Knowledge, writing and expression in Journalism.
This module focuses on:
- The political and economic changes that are in progress and are a feature of the informational landscape
- The identification and degradation of post-truth techniques as they are widely used
- The staging and selection of primary journalistic material as compiled from different sources
- The different forms of writing and expression in relation to the Media and the journalistic theme
- Κωδικός / Course Code: END524
- ECTS: 10
Τρόποι Αξιολόγησης / Assessment:
Written Assignments: 30%, Activities: 20%, Final Exam: 50%