ELP522: Management of change, school effectiveness and school improvement
- font size decrease font size increase font size
Course Purpose and Objectives
The purpose of the Module ELP522 is to familiarize students with the important stages of conducting quantitative research in education as well as to develop their critical ability towards quantitative research results in the field of education.
More specifically, the Module aims:
- to introduce students to basic principles of scientific quantitative research in education
- to provide students with the necessary knowledge and skills required to design a scientific quantitative research (specialized research topic, identification of quantitative research questions, methodology design, presentation of results and valid conclusions)
- to support students to understand the ethical issues arising in the design and implementation of a research
- to develop students’ critical thinking over research quantitative results and conclusions
Students will study the nature of change in modern organisations, the necessity of change and the factors which affect it, the design of change, the individual and change, the school as an organisation and change, change at the educational system level, leadership and change, as well as some innovative programmes in education and international studies. At the same time, they will study the characteristics of the effective school and the effective teacher and the creation of a climate for change, the theoretical models of school effectiveness, the measurement of school effectiveness, as well as the research for the improvement of school effectiveness. Finally, they will examine various research programmes of school effectiveness conducted in Cyprus and internationally.
- Κωδικός / Course Code: ELP522
- ECTS: 15
Τρόποι Αξιολόγησης / Assessment:
Written assignments (2), Final exam, Weekly graded activities. This form of assessment applies to all Thematic Units.
The final grade of the Module is composed from:
- 50% from the grade of the final exam.
- 40% from the grade of the two (2) assignments.
- 10% from the grade of the contributions to the ten (10) weekly activities, provided they are assessed with a pass (evaluation Pass or Fail). Each contribution that is evaluated with a Pass increases the Module’s final score by 0,1 points.
Students earn the right to participate in the final exam if they have:
- Obtained cumulatively at least 50% of the total score, from the evaluation of the two (2) assignments.
- Submitted at least five (5) contributions for the weekly activities which are evaluated with a Pass.
- Διάρκεια Φοίτησης/ Length of Study: Εξαμηνιαία (εαρινό)/ Semi-annual (spring)
- Κόστος/ Tuition Fees: .
- Επίπεδο Σπουδών/ Level: Μεταπτυχιακό/ Postgraduate