Limited number of positions for Ph.D. studies are offered in the following areas:
- Artificial Intelligence and Explainable AI.
- Cognitive Systems / Personal Assistants.
- Nature and Biology-Inspired Computation.
- Machine-Mediated Social Interactions.
- Computational Machine Learning Theory.
- Learning-Based User Personalization.
- Knowledge Engineering and Reasoning.
- Knowledge-Based Story Comprehension.
- Smart City / Smart Building Applications.
- HCAI-Based Sustainable Development.
- Swarming in Unmanned Aerial Vehicles.
In the declaration of interest, applicants should indicate explicitly their chosen subject(s) and should include (for each chosen subject) a proposal of their envisioned contribution (i.e., thesis topic).
Applicants must hold an M.Sc. Degree, and have either strong programming skills or a solid background in Theoretical Computer Science. Admitted Ph.D. students will carry out their research at the Computational Cognition Lab at Open University of Cyprus, under the supervision of Dr. Loizos Michael, Professor, firstname.lastname@example.org, 0035722411963.
The minimum time required to complete the doctorate is three (3) years, while the maximum duration is eight (8) years.
EUROPEAN CREDIT TRANSFER SYSTEM – ECTS: 180
TEACHING LANGUAGE: English
DEGREE AWARDED: Doctor of Philosophy (PhD)
1. B.Sc. Degree and M.Sc. Degree in a relevant scientific area, with emphasis on one of the areas above.
2. Excellent knowledge of spoken and written English, and ability to contribute to paper/proposal writing.
3. Evidence of research/development skills, strong programming skills, and mathematical maturity.
4. Availability for physical presence at the Open University of Cyprus (OUC) premises is strongly preferred.
1. Distinctions, awards, research or other publications.
2. Knowledgeable in the design of graphical and interactive interfaces.
3. Knowledgeable in Artificial Intelligence / Machine Learning.
4. Knowledgeable in Natural Language Processing and Generation.
5. Knowledgeable in symbolic knowledge representation / reasoning.
6. Knowledgeable in neural-symbolic integration approaches.
Applicants should ensure that all of the following are submitted by the application deadline:
1. A brief introductory note (1-2 pages long) explicitly stating, along with a brief justification, how the
applicant’s background and experience covers each of the required and additional qualifications.
2. A full biographical note (curriculum vitae), including the contact details of two referees.
3. List of research publications, annotated with the contribution of the applicant in each article.
4. Copies of all the degree titles of the applicant, along with the corresponding transcripts.
5. Documents and / or portfolio of involvement in research and development projects.
6. A note that explicitly mentions the extent of the availability for physical presence at OUC.
7. Research proposal (approximately 2000 words) with one section for each of the below:
- Proposed Ph.D. topic, and relation to the areas above.
- Motivation and importance of the proposed Ph.D. work.
- Scope, purpose, and research questions to be investigated.
- Brief review of relevant bibliography and state-of-the-art.
- Proposed research methodology to be followed.
- Expected results, including implementation schedule.
Tuition fees for doctoral programs amounts to €675 per semester for the first six (6) semesters. In case the study lasts longer, then the following applies: for the first five (5) and the last one (1) semesters, the cost amounts to €675 per semester and for the remaining semesters, the cost amounts to €100 per semester. No tuition is paid for the "Academic Writing (DXXX796)" and the "Research Methodology (DXXXX795)", which are mandatory at the beginning of the study.
Applications can be submitted exclusively online:
Application dates for the spring semester of the Academic year 2023-2024 : September 19 - November 1, 2023.